The UEFA Champions League,
known simply as the Champions League, is an annual continental club football competition which was established in 1955 and has kept football fans glued to their screens ever since.
This list is dedicated to some fascinating facts about the competition:
- The UEFA Champions League anthem was written by Tony Britten in 1992, following the rebranding of the of the competition. The anthem is an adaption of George Frideric’s Zadok the Priest.
- Britten was commissioned by UEFA in 1992, and the piece was performed by London’s Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and sung by the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields. The anthem is three minutes long, has two short verses and a chorus.
- The anthem contains three official languages being English, German and French. The anthem is played before each of the UEFA Champion League games, as well as the beginning and end of television broadcasts of the matches.
- The fastest goal scored was scored in the UEFA Champions League was scored in 10.12 seconds by Bayern Munich’s Roy Makkay, versus Real Madrid in 2007.
- Real Madrid has had three wins in a row in 2017/2018, becoming the fourth club to win three or more successive titles in European Cup History, and the first to do it twice.
- The UEFA Champion’s League was introduced in 1992, when it replaced the European Champion Club’s Club Cup which was running since 1955.
- An UEFA international referee cannot exceed the age of 45, this was established to ensure the level of fitness. Referees are required to pass a fitness test to be considered at the international level.
- When a team wins the Champion’s League three years in a row or five times overall, they win the right to keep a full-sized replica of the trophy. Only six clubs have earned this honour; Real Nadrid, Ajax, Bayern Munich, Milan, Liverpool and Barcelona.
- The most successful club in the in the Champion’s League is the Real Madrid having won the league 13 times, including its first five seasons.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored the most games in the Champion’s League, a total of 122 goals to date.
Did you know that you can make a deposit to your Betway account using M-Pesa
? Here's how:
- Go to M-PESA on your phone
- Select Pay Bill option
- Enter Business no. 880185
- Enter Account no: Betway
- Enter the Amount you want to deposit (minimum Ksh10)
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and Send
- You will receive a confirmation SMS from M-PESA
- Your account will automatically be updated with the amount of your deposit
- Go ahead and place your bet
Place your football bets at Betway
on some exciting fixtures and you could win big.
For all the latest sports news, betting tips and promotions, follow Betway
. Download the Betway App